This Sunday, February 1st is Target’s First Sunday, which means FREE admission to local museums!!! Here’s some local museum events, There are participating museums nationwide, click here to find a location near you.
Bowers Museum – FREE – Celebrate the Asian Lunar New Year Family Festival from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
2002 N. Main Street, Santa Ana, CA 92706
Schedule of Events:
- Margaret and Cleo Key Courtyard
11 AM – 4 PM: Face painting, art projects (Dragon Puppets and Brush Painting) Fortune and Almond cookie tasting
12:00 PM Lion Dance by JC Culture Troupe
12:20 PM Sunshine Academy String Ensemble play “Jasmine” and “Joy of Spring,”
under the guidance of Mr. Leonard Liu
12:45 PM Traditional dances of Vietnam
1:00 PM Pacific Symphony String Quartet plays classical Asian music
1:40 PM Hoang Hac Khi Cong by Golden Crane Qi Gong. Based on 4 basic movements: press, circle, stress and release
2:00 PM “Changing Faces,” by Master Zhong Wei Qi
2:30 PM Dance Impressions Production performs Chinese Folk Dances
- Norma Kershaw Auditorium
11 AM Oliver Chin: A presentation on his children’s book, The Year of the Sheep
(For Sale in the Gallery Store)
- Free admission to specially-ticketed exhibition China’s Lost Civilization is limited to the first 1,500 people on a first come, first served basis. Each recipient must be present. Tickets can be picked up in the North Wing. Free admission is also included to Bowers Museum permanent exhibitions including: Sacred Realms: Temple Murals by Shashi Dhoj Tulachan; Spirits and Headhunters: Art of the Pacific Islands; California Legacies: Missions and Ranchos; Vision of the Shaman, Song of the Priest; California: The Golden Years; Ancient Arts of China and limited engagement exhibition Heavenly Horses, which closes February 22nd.
Kidseum - FREE – High-Tech & Interactive Focus from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
1802 N. Main Street, Santa Ana, CA 92706
The newly renovated Kidseum will be high-tech and interactive with a focus on its new mission, “Igniting imagination through exploration,” stressing the excitement of art and archaeology. Be sure to check out the new “Glow Cave” with its fun art making activities, ride the magical Wells Fargo stagecoach through time in the “Green Screen Time Machine,” and explore archaeology like never before in our new Archaeology Lab. There will be a lot of visual stimulation and engaging education with new smart tables, smart boards and computers.
In celebration of the Lunar New Year – look forward to Art Projects: Mini Paper Lanterns, Year of the Ram Head Pieces, and Face Painting. Join Master Storyteller, Miss Cynthia, for presentations at:
- 10:30 AM Mr. Seahorse Written by Eric Carl
- 11:30 AM Coyote and the Colorado River (Native American)
- 1:30 PM How the Tortoise Got Her Shell (The Greedy Farmer)
- 3:30 PM The Big Turnip (Russian)
Children’s Museum at La Habra- FREE – African American Heritage
301 South Euclid Street, La Habra CA 90631
Oral traditions kept early African American history alive amongst its people. Master storytellers will continue the traditions and share tales of strength and inspiration. Enjoy lively music by Jazzy Ash and her band and learn the contribution jazz music made to the music world. Oral traditions kept early African American history alive amongst its people- visitors will have the opportunity to create story quilt squares and corn husk dolls.
A total of 500 people are admitted on Target FREE Sundays.Hand stamps for both sessions are distributed at 1pm and are on a first come first served basis. There is no museum admittance once all 500 slots are filled. (This does not apply to CMLH Members.) Session times are 1-2:45pm and 3:15-5pm.
MOLAA – FREE every Sunday from 11:00 am -5:00 pm
628 Alamitos Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90802
Explore MOLAA through gallery tours! Docent Tours of the galleries meet in galleries at 1:00 pm..