Tomorrow is Earth Day and a great way to honor the day is at KelpFest 2017! More than 20 years ago the kelp forests of Orange County disappeared due primarily to overfishing and pollution. In 2002 marine biologist Nancy Caruso of Get Inspired! started a project which would eventually restore this once lush forests. In 2002 with what came to be 5000 volunteers, Caruso and her volunteers began restoring the kelp forests in Newport and Laguna Beach. By 2010, the kelp had reached historic densities and the animals were starting to return to the area.
In celebration of this event, KelpFest was created to celebrate the return of the kelp forests and to honor the thousands of people who helped to restore them.
There will be many like-minded environmental organizations with exhibits at the event to help educate the participants and help to nurture an appreciation for giant kelp forests. Other activities throughout the day include live painting , a life size interactive kelp forest model, live performances, guided tide pool tours, a swim to the kelp forest, talk to a real mermaid, beach clean up, as well as lots of arts and crafts for kids.
Schedule of events:
- 9:00am Kelpfest begins
- 9:00-10:00 Kelp forest comes to life as we construct one for visitors to walk through
- 10:00am Musical performances begin
- Live kelp forest paintings and raffle
- Docent led tide pool tours
- Arts and crafts for kids
- Live musical performances
Get the kids ready for the event by downloading a FREE Gaby Garibladi coloring book here!
- When: Saturday, April 22, 2017 from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Where: Laguna Beach – Main Beach
- Cost: FREE
The Bolsa Chica Earth Day Festival offers free family fun for everyone! Visitors will have the opportunity to touch live snakes, count migrating birds, learn about pollution, test the water, and much more! Alongside a multitude of educational activity booths, the festival will also include a jump tent, food sales, and guided tours of the reserve!
Join in for the unveiling of the Bolsa Chica app (available on iOS)! Have all you ever wanted to know about Bolsa Chica in your pocket! This app is host to information about Bolsa Chica’s natural flora and fauna, from the iconic Great Blue Heron to the vibrant Pink Sand Verbena; this app has it all!
- When: Saturday, April 16, 2016 from 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Where: Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve, 3842 Warner Ave, Huntington Beach, CA
- Cost: Free
On this day, last year, we attended the Ecology Center’s – Grow Your Own – Earth Day Celebration. The Grow Your Own event is an annual tradition to celebrate an abundant earth and vibrant communities.
This year the “Grow Your Own – Spring Festival” will be held on Saturday, April 16, 2016,
The event was filled with earth friendly crafts for the kids and plenty of giveaways for the adults.
We enjoyed live music and yummy samples from food and drink vendors.
The family friendly festival was a celebration of all things green!
My girls loved petting the chickens and learned so much about them, they now want chickens.
I don’t know if it’s on the agenda this year but kids loved making Tee-pee’s.
The celebration consists of harvesting, gardening, and a more abundant future.
This year, they are excited to include opportunities to learn garden skills and have your questions answered by The Ecology Center’s own experts. We had a fantastic time last year.
The great news is the Admission is FREE at this year’s Grow Your Own! Spring Festival.
- DIY stations: terrarium building, easy pickling, and more!
- Hands-on garden skill demonstrations by TEC experts
- Ask an Eco-Designer & Ask a Grow Your Own! Teacher booths
- Organic seedling sale
- Wildcraft Lab for kids
- Live music & dance
- Delicious local, handmade food
- Bike Valet – arrive on two wheels and we’ll have a safe place to stash your bike!
- Visits with The Ecology Center chickens
- Organic strawberry picking at South Coast Farms (our next door neighbors)
- Voucher to redeem a FREE rain barrel for San Juan Capistrano residents and new/renewed family members of The Ecology Center
- Giveaways from our partners Chipotle, KIA Motors, SDG&E, and EcoScraps
- Special offers on The Ecology Center events, workshops, and more!
Bring your family, friends, neighbors, and garden questions for a special gathering celebrating the season when the garden truly comes alive!
- When: Saturday, April 16, 2016
- Where: The Ecology Center, 32701 Alipaz St., San Juan Capistrano, 92675
- Cost: FREE
For advance FREE Tickets & Info, click here.
Celebrate Earth Day with The Ecology Center at their annual We are Earth Day Festival with free tacos, live outdoor music, teepee building, farm animals, eco-activities and so much more!
Explore The Ecology Center’s learning landscapes and engage in hands-on activities that shows how we can make every day Earth Day! Plus, this year, Dr. Bronner’s will donate $1 towards our school garden education program for every Earth Day pledge!
Bring your family and friends (human and furry) for a full day of eco-friendly fun:
Listen to live folk & funk bands!
Enjoy FREE Chipotle tacos plus other yummy goods
Get hands-on with creative crafts
Spring into gardening at our seedlings sale
Play with a flock of friendly chickens
Make seed pots & seed balls
Build your own teepee with natural materials
Get cozy on a picnic blanket in our lush garden
Check out Dr. Bronner’s Magic Fire Truck
From now until April 22nd, pledge to make every day Earth Day and Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps will match your pledge with a $1 donation to our Grow Your Own! school garden program!
Make your Earth Day pledge today and share this page to inspire others to make every day Earth Day: TheEcologyCenter.org/earthday
All proceeds from Earth Day support our Grow Your Own! school garden program at 20 local schools to teach kids about the relationship between food, health, and the environment!
- When: Saturday, April 11, 2015 from 10;00 am – 4:00 pm
- Where: The Ecology Center, 32701 Alipaz St., San Juan Capistrano, CA, 92675
- Cost: $3.00 per person