It’s time to celebrate the history and roots of Orange County at Prehistoric OC! This FREE annual family fun event that is a joint celebration of: International Archaeology Day (October 18th) and National Fossil day (October 15th).
My family and I loved attending this event last year! You’ll see an explosive Volcano demonstrations, listen to the captivating storyteller Jacque Tahuka Nunez of Journeys to the Past.
See Native American and natural history exhibitors, take part in a Junior Scientist Camp, demonstrations, lectures, hands-on activities, food and tons of FUN!
Kids learn what it’s like to be a paleontologist or archaeologist. Kids will be able to wear hats and decorate their own field vests. They’ll be able to “dig out” artifacts/fossils in two plastic pools filled with “sand” with Docents on hand to help identify their finds. The area will be set up like a field camp, with tents and photographs of real field localities.
Some of the Junior Scientist Camp & other activities include:
- Make Your Own Fossil: Kids make impressions of shells in clay that will harden so they can take home a souvenir.
- Make Your Own Shell Necklace (or bracelet): Kids will make a real shell bead necklace or bracelet.
- Rock Art project: Kids will create their own rock art on sheets of brown paper bags with charcoal. They can be painted will watercolors. Area will be decorated with photos of real Native American rock art for inspiration.
- Treking the Fossil Beds of Clark Park: Talk A guided walk among the geologic formations that have yielded fossils in Clark Park. Each tour will last about 40 minutes. See schedule of events.
Make sure to visit Los Coyotes Paleontology Museum as well. The Museum will host guided tours to showcase its extensive fossil collection from Orange County. This dinosaur museum features dinosaurs found in Orange County, it’s absolutely awesome!
- When: Saturday, October 10, 2014 from 10:00 am – 3: 00 pm
- Where: Clark Regional Park, 8800 Rosecrans Ave., Buena Park, CA 90621
- Cost: The event is FREE, there may be activities which require a minimal fee. Parking is FREE.