When Halloween falls on an on the weekend I always become more than concerned. Please designate a driver for tonight celebrations. If you’re hosting a party tonight, collect the keys at the beginning of the party, have a phone number of a local cab company, Uber or LYFT handy for your guests. Even if you’re only driving down the street, there is no excuse – don’t drink and drive!
There are going to be a lot of people out there this Halloween. Children are going to be walking around later this Halloween, families will be heading home from Halloween celebrations. Please take appropriate measures to assure that you don’t hurt someone.
Every year we hear the stories of Halloween celebrations turned tragic for innocent people, like Jean Dyess or Jessica Fraire, enjoying the holiday.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, almost half (48%) of all motor vehicle traffic fatalities on Halloween night in 2012 involved a drunk driver. These numbers usually are even higher when the holiday falls on a weekend like it does this year.
This Halloween, MADD urges both partygoers and trick-or-treaters to plan ahead to help keep everyone safe.
- Be extra alert when crossing the street.
- Wear bright, reflective clothing or add reflective tape to costumes and treat buckets.
- Bring a flashlight (with extra batteries) so you can see and be seen at night.
Attending a party:
- Designate a non-drinking driver before you head out to make sure you and your loved ones arrive home safely.
- Save the number of a local cab service in your phone or download a ride-share app prior to heading out.
- Consider hiring a shuttle or limousine service to transport you and your friends to and from your event.
- Arrange a hotel stay for you and your friends on the evening of the event so no one drives home impaired.
Hosting a Halloween party:
- Never serve alcohol to those under the age of 21.
- Plan safe parties, including providing non-alcoholic drink options to guests.
- Provide plenty of food to keep your guests from drinking on an empty stomach.
- Be prepared to get everyone home safe by having the number of a taxi service on hand for those who need a ride.
- Be ready with some clean linens so you can turn your sofa into a hotel for guests who need to stay the night.
Click here to get the pattern to carve your own MADD Jack-O-Lantern!