Underwater Parks Day is Saturday, January 16, 2016. Underwater Parks Day is a celebration of Marine Protected Areas (MPA’s).
Join the Ocean Institute, Aquarium of the Pacific, Cabrillo Marine Aquarium and other partners, to celebrate recreation and conservation along Southern California’s coast.
Learn about and explore our local Dana Point State Marine Conservation Area and understand the importance of protected areas such as this. Guided tidepool hikes, sea urchin dissections and other activities will highlight this amazing environment and animals that live just feet from our door.
The day is a coordinated event by marine science centers throughout Southern California to educate the public about the statewide network of Marine Protected and Conservation Areas and explain the need for these “underwater parks.”
- When: Saturday, January 16, 2016 from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Where: Ocean Institute – Ocean Education Center – 24200 Dana Point Harbor Dr. Dana Point, CA 92629
- Cost: Admission is $10.00 for adults (13 yrs+), $7.50 for Children ages 3 -12 yrs and Seniors ages 65+, Children 2 and under are free.
Cabrillo Marine Aquarium
Join Cabrillo Marina Aquarium for a celebration of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs)! These areas, like parks on land, protect underwater marine resources for future generations to enjoy.
To celebrate MPAs and ocean conservation, CMA is participating in Underwater Parks Day. There will be speakers, presentations, interactive activities and handouts for visitors so they can learn more about MPAs, how MPAs work, and where MPAs are located in Southern California.
- When: Saturday, January 16, 2016 from 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Where: Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, 3720 Stephen M. White Drive, San Pedro, CA 90731
- Cost: FREE but donations are appreciated
Aquarium of the Pacific
Learn more about Southern California’s network of Marine Protected Areas (MPAs). Guests will be able to learn about the commercial and recreational activities permitted. MPA stories will be told using film, lectures, and interactive exhibits. The event will also feature educational booths and activities in the Great Hall.
- When: Saturday, January 16, 2016 from 9:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Where: Aquarium of the Pacific 100 Aquarium Way, Long Beach, CA 90802
- Cost: Included with your admission: Children (3-11) $17.95, Adults $29.95, Seniors $26.95, members are free.