Some helpful hints to help you pets deal with the Fireworks on the 4th of July. Keep your pets inside during the fireworks and out of the shelters.
“They hover as a cloud of witnesses above this Nation.”
Henry Ward Beecher
Honoring those who paid the ultimate price for freedom.
“Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible.” – Marion C. Garretty
Mother’s Day is one week away…did you read that guys? One Week!!! Really, I have no interest in flowers that have cut from the plant and are already dying. I have no interest in going to a restaurant on a day that will offer poor service, a fixed menu and will be over priced.
What I want, is a day that starts out with my coffee and breakfast in bed and please don’t ask where the syrup is. I want to rest, read and relax…or better yet – what this awesome video by the Holderness Family depicts.
Upon hearing his wife is pregnant, every man in America should be required to feel one full day of pregnancy and at least 10 hours of labor. This video gets it right, I just love this families videos. Thanks for the laugh Holderness Family, now go appreciate the women in your life.
Your invited to OC Mix/SOCO to celebrate Mom on Friday, May 8, 2015 from 5:00 -9:00 pm. This fun and complimentary pre-Mother’s Day event will kick off with a champagne toast, and festivities to pamper mom throughout the evening.
- Enjoy Champagne and strawberries at Environment
- Painting class by Farrow & Ball
- Eva Lempert photo-booth designed by Peinture
- Complimentary flower by UNI Home
- Nails by Lounge Nails
- Make-up and hair pampering by Swell Beauty
- First 25 guests get a custom aromatherapy blend, and enjoy Spa Services offered by Halth Spa hosted at Granola Babies.
- $30 special: 1/2 dozen chef choice oysters, 3 chocolate covered strawberries and a glass of champagne by Shuck
- Tasting table with shortbread cookies by ST Patisserie
- Pueblo coupon for special dessert
- Live piano playing by Trevor Westley
Upon check in at the SOCO Courtyard – moms will be given a wrist band to enjoy the event, and a drink ticket. For every $20 spent earns guests a raffle ticket for the chance to win fantastic raffle prizes, including $100 gift cards from HD Buttercup. Guests can also earn raffle tickets for every $10 donation to Costa Mesa High School Foundation.
Don’t miss the chance to celebrate the most important woman in your life! RSVPs are required, so please sign up today by visitinghttp://bit.ly/CelebrateMomSOCO. SOCO and
The OC Mix is located at 3303 Hyland Ave. Costa Mesa, CA 92626.
Cinco de Mayo is known as “Día de la Batalla de Puebla” In Mexico. It is a day to give honor of the victory of Mexico over France that took place in the state of Puebla. Here in the United State, we celebrate the day with Mexican culture, food and traditions.
Cinco de Mayo can be a great source of family fun but it has also become a night out for many people. Remember to stay safe with these tips from MADD:
- Plan ahead to designate a sober driver before going out to celebrate
- Eat during the evening by enjoying your favorite Mexican foods during the evening
- If you can’t plan ahead, ask a sober friend for a ride home or call a cab or friend, or call services like Uber or Lyft.
- Use mass transit if available
- Take the keys and never let a friend leave your sight if you think they are too impaired to drive.
- be diligent – even If you don’t plan to drink this Cinco de Mayo, remember that others do. Find out how to spot a drunk driver, and if you think you see a drunk driver on the road, learn what to do.
Here’s a few Cinco de Mayo Celebrations in and around Orange County, Los Angeles & San Diego. Have fun at the fiesta of your choice.
The 16th annual Cinco de Mayo Festival on Forth Street in Historic Downtown Santa Ana. The City of Santa Ana will be producing a FREE three day festival on May 1st, May 2nd, and May 3rd, 2015. Each year over 150,000 attend the festivities. There will be a Carnival, live entertainment, delicious food and fun for everyone.
- When: May 1st -3rd, Fri. 6:00 – 9:00 pm, Sat. noon – 9:00 pm and Sun. noon – 8:00 pm
- Where: 4th Street in Downtown Santa Ana
- Cost: Event is Free
Rancho Days Fiesta, celebrate at Heritage Hill Park in Lake Forest and explore the rich history of Orange County’s ranchos and native American tribes! Celebrate with music, dance, crafts, food, and first-person presentations.
- When: Sunday, May 3, 2015 from 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Where: Hertiage Hill Historical Park
- Cost: $5 – adults and children (3-12), FREE – children (under 3) – tickets sold at the gate on the day of the event.
25th Anniversary – Cinco de Mayo Fiesta at Max Berg Plaza in San Clemente. This event is in celebrates its 25th year of Mexican culture in the Spanish Village by the Sea. The program features live entertainment from the traditional Mariachi’s and Ballet Folklorico to Cumbias, Tex Mex, and Salsa dancers. Community groups serve up authentic Mexican food fare. Other activities include a juried Art Contest, Carnival Game booths, mini attractions, and a vendor area.
- When: Saturday, May 5, 2015 from 11:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Location:Max Berg Plaza Park, 1100 Calle Puente, San Clemente CA 92672
- Cost: Event is Free
- When: Sunday, May 3rd, 2015 from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Where: Irvine Lake, 4621 Santiago Canyon Rd, Orange, CA, 92676
- Cost: Event is Free, Parking at Irvine Lake $3, $5 fee for Chili Taster’s Kit
Los Angeles County
MOLAA Cinco de Mayo Celebration, Museum of Latin American Art in Long Beach will host a day of performances, art, workshops, craft vendor booths and more!
- When: Sunday, May 3, 2015 from 10:00 – 5:00 pm
- Where: MOLAA, 628 Alamitos Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90802
- Cost: FREE
Cinco de Mayo at Olvera Street, in Downtown LA, a weekend celebration of Mexico’s victory over French forces in Puebla, Mexico in 1862 with popular and traditional music, dancing and food. Enjoy mariachis, folklorico dancers, kids activities and piñatas.
- When: Saturday, May 2nd -Sunday, May 3, 2015, from 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
- Where: Olvera Street, 845 N. Alameda Street, Los Angeles, CA
- Cost: Free
Cinco de Mayo at LA Plaza, in Los Angeles. Cinco de Mayo celebrates the 1862 Mexican victory over the French in Puebla, Mexico. Discover why the Battle of Puebla is a popular celebration in the Unites States and California’s connection to this history! Enjoy hands-on culinary, garden, and art workshops and enjoy a performance by Ballet Folklorico Flor de Mayo!
- When: May 3, 2015, noon – 4:00 pm
- Where: LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes, 501 N Main St , Los Angeles, 90012
- Cost: Free
A San Diego tradition since 1983, Old Town San Diego celebrates their 32nd annual Fiesta Old Town Cinco de Mayo 2015. This celebration in Old Town is the largest event of its kind in Southern California. Three days of music, food and fun. There will be 3 Live Music Stages, Cantina Garden, Low Rider Car Show, Historical Demonstrations, Equestrian performances & more!
- When: Saturday, May 2, 2015 from 11: am – 10: pm (Ballet folklorico competitions starts at 9:00 am@ Fiesta de Reyes) Sunday, May 3, 2015 from 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Where: Old Town San Diego, CA
- Cost: Event is free
Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter!
Irvine Katie Wheeler Library’s Teen Advisory Group (TAG) invites you to their Bounce Into Spring event! This event is being held today, Friday, April 3rd from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm on the outside lawn.
Bring the kids for:
- Doughnut-On-A-String Eating Contest!
- Spoon Egg Races!
- Cookie Decorating!
- Bunny Hop!
- Face Paint!
- Coloring Pages!
- Bunny Ears Making!
- Egg Hunt!
No pre-registration required. Families with children of all ages are welcome.
Katie Wheeler Library is located at: 13109 Old Myford Rd, Irvine, CA 92602
There are so many Easter Egg Hunts or Spring Celebration going on this weekend. I won’t even try to list them all but I have chosen a few that stand out to me.
Spring Fling at Oak Canyon Park, Anaheim – Kids ages 3-11 are invited for an exciting day filled with spring and eco-friendly fun! Activities include an ‘Egg’cellent Egg Hunt, crafts, animal nursery, games, face painting, free Carl’s Jr. lunch, a visit from Mr. Bunny himself and pictures. Please call 714-765-5191 to register.
Spring Celebration, Downtown Anaheim – The Farmers’ Market celebrates spring with free activities for kids, Free photos with the Easter Bunny, Live Entertainment and more. Thursday, April 2, 2105 from 11:00 am -4:00 pm
Celebration Church Easter Egg-Stravaganza, Brea – The biggest Easter egg hunt in Brea!! Bring your favorite basket, collect as many eggs as you can, and turn them all in for prizes! This exciting Easter egg hunt will include over 20,000 eggs, carnival games, train rides, relays, prizes, arts & crafts, and face painting! The event starts at 11:00 am. on Saturday, April 4th.