Earth Day celebrates our amazing planet Earth, and the plants and animals that live here with us! As budding environmentalists, children will be motivated to recycle, reduce and reuse waste through diverse activities. Children will experience the outcomes of wasteful actions and make the learning connection that their actions can have a dramatic impact on the environment. Special offerings will include:
- Sensational Story Time: Compost Stew will introduce children to the idea of composting. They will work on science skills as they sort items to create their own composting bin and math skills as they put the composting steps in order.
- Let’s Move: Don’t miss the Recycle Relay! Children will see just how much trash we can cut down on going into the landfill by recycling.
- Smart Art: This handmade Planet Earth will serve as inspiration for your child to be green every day.
Get your hands earthy making seed balls with Earthroots Field School! Seed balls are fun and easy to make for all ages. Seed balls are marble sized mixtures of native seeds, clay and compost used to replant habitat. Take them with you and toss them into empty landscapes to plant a habitat. Seed balls protect the ungerminated seeds from being eaten by birds or other critters and keep them in place until the right amount of rain falls to wash away the clay leaving the seeds surrounded by a moist bed of compost, ready to grow. www.earthrootsfieldschool.org
Play Partner: Earthroots Field School; Pretendgineers and Brain Builders, our experienced stage staff of trained early childhood and child development educators, grown-ups
Grown-up Tip: Being a role model for your child is important. Showing your child how and why we recycle is a great way to become a part of the “Go Green” movement. Check out our Go Green Pinterest Board for more tips and activity ideas!
- When: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Where: Pretend City Children’s Museum, 29 Hubble, Irvine, CA 92618
- Cost: Included with regular museum admission