Did you know that mammoths, ring-tailed cats, giant ground sloths and a unique type of ancient llama once lived in the area? Come explore Clark Regional Park’s rich fossil history! Family Fossil Days provide a hands-on experience for all ages with real fossils.
The three-hour program, led by park staff, will bring you face to face with a casting of a real Megalodon jaw and a 9 million year-old baleen whale fossil. Participants older than 6 years old will also be able to visit Clark Regional Park’s marine fossil site. Meet at the interpretive center, rain or shine. Pack a picnic lunch and stay for the day at the park following the program.
- When: Saturday, February 6th, Saturday, May 7th, Saturday, September 10th, Saturday, December 3rd from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Clark Regional Park 8800 Rosecrans Ave. Buena Park, CA 90621
- Event is FREE, parking is $5 per vehicle.
For more information: Call (714) 973-3170 or email email@example.com www.facebook.com/OrangeCountyParks twitter.com/OCParks Carbon Canyon Regional
Clear your calendar and join Cabrillo Marina Aquarium in celebrating the 46th annual Whale Fiesta! This fun-filled family event, co-sponsored by Cabrillo Marine Aquarium and the Los Angeles Chapter of the American Cetacean Society, celebrates marine mammals and the migration of Pacific gray whales along Southern California’s coast.
More than 20 marine life organizations will exhibit and provide information about their efforts to raise awareness and provide protection for these animals. Throughout the day expert Cabrillo Whalewatch naturalists will give talks on various marine mammals.
This year we are building a life-sized Pacific gray whale! Grab your shovels and come lend a hand. The highlight of the day is the Great Duct Tape Whale Contest, where model whales and other sea creatures are created by all ages. Other special activities throughout the day include face painting, music, marine mammal-related arts and crafts projects for all ages, a puppet show, a life-sized walk-through whale and a passport contest for fabulous prizes.
The celebration’s grand finale will be Whale Dynamics, where participants will be transformed into a single “living whale.”
- When: Sunday, January 31, 2016 from 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Where: Cabrillo Marine Aquarium, 3720 Stephen M. White Drive, San Pedro, CA 90731
- Cost: Admission to the aquarium os Free however a suggested donation of $5 for adults and $1 for children and seniors helps maintain the aquarium and offer excellent programs.
The Aquarium’s Exploration Center, Aquatic Nursery and the Library will be open to visitors 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Spend the whole day enjoying all the activities for free!